PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Users assigned to main site as well as own site

1. Hi Guys,

I'm noticing some strange behaviour with the registration form that I have setup.
    I'm running a multisite (network) and have it set so that a site is created for the user. The default user role is set to 'administrator'.

When I signup using the GF everything works great. A new site is created and my user is assigned to it as an admin. Fantastic.

The issue I am having is that this new user is *also* assigned as an editoradmin to the main site.
    This presents a number of issues as the user actually has a lot of permissions over the main site.

I've tried using the 'standard' wp-signup form and this behavior doesn't happen.

I'm running 3.1.3 and the latest install of GF.

Has anyone else noticed this issue ?

---
    Updated the role

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday June 28, 2011 | Permalink
  2. What role do you have selected for the user in your User Registration Add-On settings? Is it set to Administrator? It shouldn't be set to Administrator. The role selection on the User Registration Add-On settings is the role for the main site. If the Add-On is also creating a site for the user it automatically assigns them as the Administrator for the new site. But the role for the main site is set to whatever is selected in the role selection drop down on the User Registration feed settings.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday June 28, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Thanks Carl,

That makes sense, especially in the context of a standard WP install. Just a thought it might be worth updating the hover text to "Select the role the user will be assigned. (For networks this is the role for the main site)" or something similar.

Is it possible to create a 'no role' option so that users are not assigned to the main blog at all?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 29, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Currently there is no option to not add the user to the parent site. Technically it doesn't add the user to the parent site, it adds the user to whatever site the form is being submitted from. That could be a child site. Really there isn't a parent site and child sites anymore in WordPress Multi-Site mode, there are just sites. But we can look into making an option to not register the user on the site and only create them their own site.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 29, 2011 | Permalink
  5. Thanks Carl that would be great.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday June 30, 2011 | Permalink
  6. Is there any way to register new users as just "editors" on their new blogs?

Also, +1 on not registering users on the form site.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 8, 2011 | Permalink
  7. @Jason Currently there is not. Can you give me some use case examples of why this makes sense so I can understand how this would be used?

8. I'm building a multi site system using your User Registration add-on. Once the customer pays for the service (using the PayPal add-on of course:), his site is instantly created and he should be able to log in and customize away.

Most developers would agree that the customers should see as little of the admin as possible. Preferably, that means editor capabilities only.

I'm playing around with Members (by Justin Tadlock) and I can accomplish this by removing capabilities for the admin role. That's a little dirty, though, and under normal circumstances, the changes likely don't apply to all new sites. I'll also have a maintain this admin role indefinitely for any new plugins that add capabilities and admin panels to WordPress.

Again, just giving the site owners the editor role to start (or even a custom role created by Members) would seem simpler. It also seems easier to give permissions as needed, rather than take them away. The sites might really need an "admin". It would be nice to save that role for just in case.

9. Thanks for the explanation. It definitely makes sense. We can add this to our To Do list for User Registration Add-On enhancements. Along with adding an option to not add the user to the site the form is submitted from IF a new site is being created.

10. Thanks, Carl!

As usual, your support is par excellence. You have created the best WordPress plugin and coupled it with the best owner experience. I love Gravity Forms and I look forward to the enhancements!

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday September 18, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.