PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Variables and data formats

1. I think I've found these answers on the website, but want to confirm them before spending any money.

1. I need to fill hidden values based on what is being displayed on a page. If the page is displaying a 1997 Honda Civic (and other vehicle specific details about the car), will this be able to pick up the variables of $year, $make, $model, etc and fill hidden values?

2. Will this send in XML and ADF?

Thanks,
    -eric.hecht

Posted 12 years ago on Monday September 19, 2011 | Permalink
  2. 1) It's not automatically going to pick up the value of these variables. You have to use hooks to set the value of these fields to variables that may exist. So it is possible to do this, but you have to dynamically populate the fields using these values. It's not difficult to do.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by send in XML and ADF. Gravity Forms stores the entry data in your WordPress database and sends email notifications containing the entry data as text in an email. It doesn't generate XML or ADF of the data. You can export the entry data to a CSV file to them import in any other application.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday September 19, 2011 | Permalink
  3. 1) And GF has it's own set of hooks?

2) I was told how to send as XML/ADF. ADF (Auto-Lead Data Format) is something used in the automotive industry and is in the form of XML. To send this is the same as sending the plain text message normally, but formatted to look like an XML file. I found this site on google: http://adf.dealerapex.com/ which has pretty good info on it if you might be interested.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday October 1, 2011 | Permalink
  4. 1) Gravity Forms has a ton of hooks and filters that let you do nearly anything with the data that's captured. http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Developer_Docs

2) Not sure if this is a question or just a resource. Please clarify if you need additional help.

If you need to send data to a 3rd party as XML, you can use the gform_post_submission hook and craft your XML however you like. In 1.6 and later, that hook will be deprecated in favor of using a new hook called gform_after_submission.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday October 1, 2011 | Permalink