PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Work Around for Duplicating Form Fields?

1. I've read the post/request about making an easy way to duplicate form fields already. Is there any update on ETA on that?

I'm creating an online registration process for a dance competition where there could be up to 50 dances a team has to register for. I say "up to" because I'm using conditional logic at the end of each dance in a Multiple Choice question. If they say yes, then a new page will show up with a place for them to select the details of the next routine.

Is there a work-around where I want have to manually re-create the specific fields for up to 50 routines that would be EXACTLY the same data over and over again?

Hope this makes sense...

Here is the page where I have the form housed right now:

http://mollermarketing.com/spring-fling-registration-form/

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday January 18, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Duplicating fields is on the agenda for sometime after the 1.5 release. I'm not exactly sure when, but it's a popular request so it's going to be sooner than later.

The easiest way to do what you want is to build your form, then export the XML to your desktop. Open the XML file and manually copy the set of fields that you want and replicate them where you need in your form. Then you can import the form and continue to work in the form builder if you need. Just remember to increment the ID's for each copy so the form and conditional logic works properly.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday January 19, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Thanks so much for that tip - I'll test that and may have questions about the IDs and logic. Thanks again!

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday January 19, 2011 | Permalink
  4. By "increment the IDs" do you mean that I need to make sure to change the "field ID" as I go down the list? I assume that's what you mean.

Once I have imported the form, I can then change and verify the conditional logic, is that right?

Thanks!

Here's where the form is coming together:

http://monetizemyhobby.com/spring-fling-2011/register/

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday January 20, 2011 | Permalink
  5. Yes, that's what I meant. You just want to make sure each of the fields has unique IDs and once the form is imported you can set up all of the conditional logic as needed.

Your form is looking good too.

6. Thanks for the clarification Kevin. I'm getting this all together and appreciate your help.

7. Another question or two about modifying the <field id="whatever number">:

1. Can I typed in separators or something to distinguish where I'm at (since I'm having to duplicate the same field over 50 times)? something like Number 1, Number 2, Number 3, etc.? How do I do this so that I don't mess up the code when I re-import?

2. Do I have to change the field numbers BEFORE re-importing it or can that all be adjusted once the form has been imported?

Thanks and sorry this is such a process...

8. Sorry, another question:

Is there a way for a client to view the form they've filled out (all the details) before they submit it? especially being a multi-page form?

9. 1) XML does support comments: http://www.tizag.com/xmlTutorial/xmlcomment.php

2) I believe you do need to update the field numbers before importing; however, I'm not 100%. Wanna do a little research for us? :)

3) Current there is no submission preview functionality by default; however, this thread might be helpful: http://forum.gravityhelp.com/topic/live-preview-of-form-data#post-16073

10. #1 was helpful and I've used that before, just wasn't sure about XML.

#2...game on! I have imported it without changing the field numbers but haven't began testing yet. All the fields DID show up so we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

#3 I looked that over but am not sure how or where to implement that, especially with a really long form like this one. As you may be able to tell by now, I'm not a programmer by default and don't really understand how I could set this up so it would work the way my client would like.

Any more feedback on #3 would be helpful. I research too.

Thanks Dave!

Posted 13 years ago on Friday January 21, 2011 | Permalink
  11. I have not actually integrated that myself. This is one of those features where you'll either want to spend some time getting familiar with jQuery or hiring a developer to give you a hand.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday January 21, 2011 | Permalink
  12. In my testing, I did find out that YES, you have to change field ID's BEFORE importing or it will duplicate the field improperly.

Question: I'm trying to edit the XML file so it's easier to duplicate all fields over and over again. The problem is, I've had to move the fields around when creating them in Wordpress and now the field ID numbers are not in order, making it harder to duplicate.

Can I go through all the Field IDs in Dreamweaver and put them in numerical order without messing up the form functionality?

(this may make NO SENSE :) )

Posted 13 years ago on Monday February 7, 2011 | Permalink
  13. Yes, you should be able to edit the export XML file and change the id's before importing the XML. Just be careful, the id's have to be unique.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday February 7, 2011 | Permalink