PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

WP Multisite + GF User Registration Add-on + Post to blog question

1. rbl

Hi!
    Recently my company bought a Business License and I was wondering if we should upgrade to Developer License as GF seems to be the one stop solution to our curent needs.
    Found most of my answers in the "open" forums but as I don't have access to the User Registration Add-on forum, I would like to run this usage scenario by you before upgrading.

We are developing a site hosting service using Wordpress Multisite. We would like to handle the (1) user registration + (2) site creation + (3) theme selection + (4) two posts or pages creation, in this specific order and in the most streamlined fashion possible and GF seems like the right tool for the job.

From what I've read, GF can only post to the site where it's installed and it does not log in the user automatically after registration but I'll ask anyway:
    1 - Can I do this with just one form?
    1.1 - If not, how do you advise this should be built?

2 - In the eventuality of having to run GF on the newly created site to continue the registration process at step 3 or 4, using the WP config options found here I guess, how can we achieve this?
    2.1 - Can I do it without granting access to the GF admin area in the backend? We don't want the users creating adicional forms on their sites.

Thanks!
    Ricardo

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday January 28, 2012 | Permalink
  2. rbl

Sorry to bump this but I'm getting a little bit pressed for time.

Ricardo

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 31, 2012 | Permalink
  3. 1) Gravity Forms does indeed only create posts and users on the site it's submitted from. It could do user creation and site creation on a form, but it does not currently do theme selection or create posts on the newly created site. If you used Post Fields on that same form it would create the Post on the site it is submitted from and not the site that the User Registration Add-On has created when creating the new user.

What you want to do is more complex and more of a custom use case. You couldn't certainly do it with Gravity Forms but it would require custom code and using available API hooks and filters to customize Gravity Forms functionality to suit your needs. As for how to build it, it's not a simple question and would require fully scoping out what you want to do, etc. and since the exact workflow you want isn't how Gravity Forms currently works that becomes a customization at which point it's something you a developer would need to implement.

2) If you needed posts to be created via a form you could certainly configure things so that when a site is created, some pre-defined forms are also created. However, it's a catch-22... since no pages or posts would exist with that form embedded there would be nothing to link to. So as part of the customization you would have to implement to accomplish #1 above you'd also have to script creating a page on that new site that contains the shortlink to display the form you automatically generate in #2.

You could do what I describe above without requiring them to have access to the GF admin. But you'd have to leverage WordPress role management capabilities to do so if you are granting the new user Admin access to that site. If the user doesn't have admin access, he wouldn't see the GF admin area anyway.

What you want to do is a very custom use case so it's going to require customizations if you are comfortable making them. Gravity Forms has an extensive library of hooks and filters and is extremely customizable. Just like themes and plugins customize WordPress, they can customize Gravity Forms in the same way through these hooks. BUT it does mean you need a developer who has a good grasp of WordPress development and understands hook/filter usage, etc.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 1, 2012 | Permalink