PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Conditional Logic (add max 8 times extra data) by selecting radio button?

1. mees

Hi,

Is it posibble to have the possibilty in the form by selecting the (radio button or select menu or button) [Add a new] user (or whatever). When you select this option you get a couple of fields (name, address, phone etc).

You can max 8 times [adding a new user] with the form.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday November 21, 2011 | Permalink
  2. I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. I'm assuming you mean you want the user to be allowed to enter a maximum of 8 "users" on the form, each "user" would have a few different fields for user related data.

This can't be done via some sort of "Add" link where they keep dynamically adding fields to the form. That type of dynamic field generation isn't possible.

What you would have to do is add ALL the fields to your form, then use a drop down or radio button (drop down would be preferred in this situation) to ask how many users they are adding. Then using conditional logic, show or hide the fields based on how many users they selected.

What you could do is implement this using Section Breaks for each "user". Then apply conditional logic on the Section Break field to show/hide that section based on the drop down selection.

So you would do this...

- Section Break (apply conditional logic to show/hide this in the advanced tab)
    - Name
    - Address
    - Phone
    - Etc.

- New Section Break (apply conditional logic to show/hide this in the advanced tab)

If you apply conditional logic to a section break it automatically applies to ALL fields that appears below that section break up to the next one. So when you are done, you'll need to add one last Section Break and don't apply conditional logic to it.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday November 21, 2011 | Permalink
  3. mees

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Is it also possible to put the 'user' form fields in another form (userForm for example) and then with conditional logic show/hide the form 'userForm' ??

Then maybe with a dropdown i can say: Add 1,2,3 or ... 8 users? When you select 4 >> the form 'userForm' opens 4 times?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday November 22, 2011 | Permalink
  4. mees

And maybe another option... Is this possible?

When you fill in the user-fields:

[name user 1]
    [address]
    [phone]
    [etc...]

After those fields you see a radio-button [add another user] >> When you click the radio-button (with conditional logic) those fields (above) opens again for another user (user 2):

[name user 2]
    [address]
    [phone]
    [etc...]

Is this possible? So everytime you can add a user after you filled in. (i like it most when this is possible 8 times!!!)

Thanks in advance.

5. No, conditional logic cannot be used to show/hide another form. Forms are independent of each other and can't be embedded within each other.

What you described in your last post should be possible. But you'd have to add ALL of the fields and then configure the conditional logic to show/hide them the way you described.

All I can suggest is play around with the available tools. Asking questions can be helpful but it's definitely no substitution for putting the tools to use and learning what they can and can't do hands own.

6. mees

Ok i almost got it.

I have 2 radio-buttons:

[add another user] and [do not add another user]

By default it is on [do not add another user] >> So now you can open/close 'the extra user' fields. Very nice.

But now i don't see the submit button anymore?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday November 23, 2011 | Permalink
  7. mees

I figured it out. In the form settings i enabled 'conditional logic'.

thanks.

8. mees

If i follow your logic above i have to duplicate 8 times (if i want to have 8 users) ALL the fields of the user? Isn't it?

[name]
    [address]
    [etc etc...]

And how do i list this data in the database Entries?

Do i have to make for ALL extra users different Admin labels (to get it listed in the Entries?).

Thanks

9. Each user submitted in one form is going to end up in a new form field. Your entry will be very 'wide', with each field for every user entered.

How about a single form, and at the end of the form, offer the option to "add another user" and then direct them back to the same form. You can pre-populate the fixed portions of the form, and leave blank the parts of the form that change for each user. That way, you save time for the person entering. I haven't seen your form but I suspect there is some portion of information that is the same, and then just a little that is different, for each user.

Would that work?

The entries would be cleaner that way. You'd have fewer fields across, and could sort by the fields that do not change (maybe company name or something) and each user would have its own entry.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday November 25, 2011 | Permalink
  10. mees

I don't no if it's clear to you.

I try to explain again the best i can:

(for example)

You have 1 Footbalteam

[name team]
    [club]
    [city]
    [etc etc]

(after you fill in those fields you must have the possibility to add a player, the fields below opens with conditional logic on a sectionbreak)

[Radiobutton/ or dropdown ?? What do you suggest?)

[Add a player >>]

--------- SectionBreak ----------
    [name]
    [adres]
    [position in the field]
    [etc...]

(After you filled in those fields you see another radiobutton)

[Add another player >>]

--------- SectionBreak ----------
    [name]
    [adres]
    [position in the field]
    [etc...]

And so on and so on up to 8 players (for example)...

How will you do this?

Thanks in advance.

11. I suggest doing as I wrote in the previous post. I would create a form that allows the visitor to add the team, and one player. In the confirmation message, I would say something like "thanks for adding your team and {whatever player}. Would you like to add another player?" Then, a link to the form, same form, but pre-populate all the team information using the query string. So the visitor does not have to type that all in again. All they need to type is the next player's information.

Doing it this way will give you one entry per player, with duplicate team information, rather than one entry per team, with the players all going across the entry horizontally. There would be no section breaks and no conditional logic in your form. It is a different way of approaching the problem.

Thank you for posting your usage exactly. It makes it easier to envision how it will work.

Can you evaluate that suggestion and see if it will work in your case? Thank you.

12. mees

Hi Chris,

ok i try now your solution with a link back to the form and then pre-populate some fields.

But i can't get it to work.

What i did:
    - in 'edit' form field >> advanced tab >> i select 'Allow field to be populated dynamically' and give a parameter name 'org-naam'

- In the confirmation message i put a link:
    klik hier

But now after you click the link and return to the form, the 'Naam' field is still empty?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday January 25, 2012 | Permalink